Release Date: 10/3/06
Review-Track by Track
1. Rebirthing - A great opener with a string section and hard pounding rock. John Cooper (lead singer) said this was his favorite song to play on stage because it shows all of the element of Skillet and I have to agree. The song is about second chances and redeeming yourself.
2. The Last Night - The song opens with Korey Cooper's great piano skills and then comes in with Ben Kasaca's killer guitar playing. According to John, this song was written about a girl who was an outcast, her parents blamed everything on her and called her a mistake and she got so fed up with it that one night she decided she was going to take her life away but then God lets her know that she is alot more than she thinks she is and that her life has meaning and purpose.
3. Yours to Hold - This Bon Jovi-inspired-song can be taken two ways: First it could be a love song for couples to have as their own or as the band intended it to be it's saying that God is ours to come to whenever we are alone and that we find comfort in Him. John oftenly jokes when performing this live that "this song is not for the guys, this song is for the girls"
4. Better Than Drugs - The title says it all, the lyrics distinctly say that Jesus is better than drugs and he's like an addiction and antidote. The double tracking at the beginning with John doing echoes is pretty clever and obviously the fans get it!
5. Comatose - This excellent well written and crafted title track is one of the most musically expressed and true songs on the record. Comatose is a way of saying that before we were introduced to Christ we were in comatose not being able to live life for Him. "I don't wanna live, I don't wanna breathe, lest I feel you next to me" Without Christ all things are impossible is the feel I get here. Once again the strings in this song are brilliant and a live favorite.
6. The Older I Get - This song is about not just bad relationships in the past but growing apart from people. The song was specifically written about John's dad whom he did not have a good relationship with as a kid and to this day he wonders "the older I get, will I get over it, it's been way too long for the times we missed, the older I get, will I get over it? I can't believe it still hurts like this"
7. Those Nights - This is one of those coming of age songs where it reminisces of the good times shared with people and how they miss those days or in this case nights. During this song of their live shows, Skillet has something called a "crowd cam" where they video tape everyone in the crowd and then post the videos on various websites such as MySpace.
8. Falling Inside the Black - This song is about not wanting to fall into the evils the world has to offer and that God is our source of strength to get us through anything we struggle with. Fear and insecurity is a theme here where it says "falling to the depths can I ever go back?" No matter what though God is going to bring you back from the 'black' but only if you want Him to.
9. Say Goodbye - A farewell song would be the proper term here or maybe a song for break ups. It could also be taken as a way of growing up and getting older as the song talks about that topic. In the end even though it hurts to leave a certain person you still wish them the best.
10. Whispers In the Dark - The greatest display of guitar work is expressed in this head-banging and high powered song. The song suggests that in the midst of the world we live in God is our hope and will be the one that will hold us and find us in our darkest times. We have nothing to fear knowing HE is here.
11. Looking for Angels - The course of this song is talking about how people need to become a shining light for God and help one another. Poverty, violence and fear are some of the few themes discussed in here. This song is the most unique on the album because the majority of it is John talking about the numerous causes and needs people all around the world need. The video is very deep. WE NEED A REASON TO LIVE.
There you have it, I consider this the greatest Christian rock album of all time (only until Awake comes out) Skillet definately went all out on this record which is without a doubt their best one so far. This year the album was certified GOLD.
"Awake" comes out August 25th, 2009 featuring "Hero" and "Monster"